A short and easy walk in mixed woodland, passing an attractive trout loch, before diverting to the landscaped grounds of Delgatie Castle, an impressive building in the Scottish Tower House tradition.
Duration: 1.5 hours.
Duration: 1.5 hours.
Transport/Parking: There is no public transport nearby. Nearest town is Turriff. There is a free public car-park at the start/end of the walk.
Length: 4.590 km / 2.87 mi
Height Gain: 104 meter
Height Loss: 104 meter
Max Height: 135 meter
Min Height: 68 meter
Surface: Moderate. Good woodland paths and tracks. A small section on a minor tarred road.
Child Friendly: Yes, if children are used to walks of this distance.
Dog Friendly: Yes, on lead on public roads and near farm animals.
Refreshments: We can recommend the Laird’s Kitchen Tea Room in Delgatie Castle. Options in Turriff.
This is a pleasant walk with a very modest overall ascent amongst mature mixed woodland with some open views. On the return leg, approaching the Castle, the route passes close to an attractive trout fishery loch, edged by large broadleaf trees. To cap off the walk, we suggest paying a visit to Delgatie Castle itself, an historic tower house sitting on a wooded hillside just above the woodland walks car-parking area. The castle consists of a keep, adjoining house and two later wings. It is believed that a fortified building has stood on the site of Delgatie Castle since the 11thC, although the earliest parts of the castle standing today were built in the late 16thC. Wings and a chapel were added in the mid 18thC. The original castle and lands were seized from the Earl of Buchan after the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 and given to Clan Hay (later to become the Earls of Erroll). Mary, Queen of Scots, was a guest at the castle in 1562 after the Battle of Corrichie. The interior of the house was saved from destruction from dry rot by the late Captain John Hay, who acquired the building in a semi-ruinous state in the 1950s. Notable internal features include a very wide turnpike stair, painted ceilings dating from the 16thC, and, reputedly, a ghost! Today, the castle and its gardens are owned by the Delgatie Castle Trust. The castle, grounds, and Laird’s Kitchen Tea Room (recommended!) are open to the public throughout the year except at Christmas. See the following links: