This is a varied coastal walk with interesting historical associations. The outward leg is an easy stroll along the flat rocky foreshore between the neighbouring settlements of Inverbervie and Gourdon, while the return section ascends onto a steep hillside with fine, open views.
Duration: 3 hours.
Duration: 3 hours.
Transport/Parking: Frequent Stagecoach bus services. See timetables. Free parking at walk start/end point.
Length: 9.590 km / 5.99 mi
Height Gain: 200 meter.
Height Loss: 200 meter.
Max Height: 132 meter.
Min Height: 4 meter.
Surface: Moderate. Good paths and tracks. May be muddy in places. Some walking on paved surfaces.
Child Friendly: Yes, if children are used to walks of this distance and overall ascent.
Dog Friendly: Yes, but keep dogs on lead on public roads and near farm animals.
Refreshments: Options in Gourdon and Inverbervie.
This is a very pleasant and invigorating walk along the old Kincardineshire coast between the small coastal town of Inverbervie and the old fishing village of Gourdon. The return leg ascends onto Bikmane (or Gourdon) Hill to take a section of the “Lang Rig”, the old coach road, now a grassy track, that preceded the modern A92 coastal road. In this elevated section, we take a short diversion to visit the Gourdon Long Cairn (known locally as the “War Woof”), a large and elongated Neolithic burial mound, now entirely covered in turf, set in a commanding position overlooking the sea. The walk starts in the old Market Square in Inverbervie where the stone Mercat Cross bears the date 1737. Look out for the inscribed plate above the door of one of the houses on the NE side of the Square which commemorates the birth of Hercules Linton (1837-1900) in Inverbervie. Hercules designed and built the record-breaking Cutty Sark “tea-clipper” sailing ship. In the initial descent to the coastal path there are good views of the Bervie Water and Bervie Brow headland, beyond. A short diversion takes us to a small waterfall, above which sits the L-shaped Hallgreen Castle, the nucleus of which dates from 1374, with a reputation as one of Scotland’s most haunted sites. With more modern additions, it is now maintained as a private residence. The next point of interest is Gourdon Harbour, which is popular with visitors, and is still actively used by fishermen. In 1881 over 8,000 barrels of herrings were exported from Gourdon. After the decline of the herring fishery, the fishermen here switched to long line fishing, a labour-intensive method that persisted until recent years. Inverbervie, or “Bervie”, was designated a Royal Burgh in 1342, and sits on a raised beach behind Bervie Bay. In 1787, Scotland’s first water powered flax mill was established here and the town soon became famous for its sailcloth.