A very pleasant ramble in the Mid-Deeside countryside, characterised by rolling fertile farmland, with upland pine forests and heather hilltops in the middle distance. The route is clear and the ascents are gradual. There are wonderful views at numerous points on the walk.
Duration: 2.5 hours.
Duration: 2.75 hours.
Transport/Parking: The Stagecoach 202 service from Banchory stops at Torphins. Check Timetables. Free on and off street parking near the walk start/end point.
Length: 7.130 km / 4.46 mi
Height Gain: 132 meter.
Height Loss: 132 meter.
Max Height: 176 meter.
Min Height: 119 meter.
Surface: Moderate. More than half the route is on very quiet single-track tarred roads. Otherwise, the paths are good.
Child Friendly: Yes, if children are used to walks of this distance and overall ascent.
Dog Friendly: Yes, keep dogs on lead near to farm animals.
Refreshments: Platform 22 Cafe is presently operating as a shop/delicatessen. Also, the LearneyArms Indian Restaurant is open evenings.
This is an enjoyable rural walk in the scenic countryside around Torphins, an attractive Deeside village. Although there is ample evidence that our Neolithic ancestors settled in this area, the village of Torphins essentially grew out of the arrival of the Deeside railway line in the 1850’s, in support of the huge changes in agriculture, and the development of the rural weaving industry, before and after the mid 19th C. Much of the lower land in this area would have been mossy bog and marsh before that time. Our walking route is in the form of two loops. The first loop heads NW out of the village to follow a path around the perimeter of Torphins Wood and touching on a section of the golf course. There are a variety of native trees in this delightful open woodland, and, if your luck is in, you may spot a red squirrel or a roe deer. Returning to the outskirts of the village, the second loop heads SW to circle the former policies of Craigmyle House. At first, the route ascends on quiet single track roads, through rolling farmland, before passing the site of Craigmyle House and descending through Crow Wood and Church Wood to the valley floor, before heading back to Torphins on a quiet road. Craigmyle House was built in 1676 by Alexander Farquharson of Monaltrie. It was extended in the early 20th C but, after lying empty for years, it was demolished in 1958. On this walk there are great views up to the Hill of Fare, to the distinctive tor of Clachnaben, and sweeping vistas over mid-Deeside in general. Thanks to the Torphins Paths Group for the idea for this route. For further walks around and about Torphins, see: https://www.torphinspathsgroup.org/