Although just over 9 km in length, this is an easy coastal hike with a modest overall ascent. The sheltered position on the Moray Firth will often make for tranquil conditions, and on clear days the hills of Caithness, far away in the North of Scotland, are readily identified.
Duration: 3 hours.
Duration: 3 hours.
Transport/Parking: The frequent Stagecoach #35 services from Aberdeen and Elgin pass through Buckie. Check timetables. We suggest parking in Buckie at the Newlands Lane car-park, near Cluny Square.
Length: 9.160 km / 5.73 mi
Height Gain: 91 meter.
Height Loss: 91 meter.
Max Height: 33 meter.
Min Height: 2 meter.
Surface: Smooth. On good paths and pavements.
Child Friendly: Yes, if children are used to walks of this distance.
Dog Friendly: Yes, on lead on public roads.
Refreshments: Options in Buckie.
This pleasant coastal walk provides for a gentle ramble along the coastline west of Buckie to reach Portgordon, returning at a slightly higher level on the route of an old railway line, and then higher still, around the Buckpool golf course. Once the most populous town in historic Banffshire, Buckie is now the 3rd largest town in Moray, after Elgin and Forres. It lies equidistant from Banff and Elgin on the sheltered Moray Firth coast and tends to enjoy a favourable microclimate, sheltered also by the Grampian Mountains to the south. The town of Buckie grew out of a number of small fisher “seatowns” huddled, gable end to the sea, close to the coastline. Originally, fishing boats would have been launched from the beaches, but as commercial fisheries began to expand a harbour was built at Nether Buckie (Buckpool) in 1857, to be effectively replaced by the much larger, more navigable, and safer Cluny Harbour, further east, 20 years later The impressive Cluny Harbour is still a busy fishing and boatbuilding centre. Although the fortunes of Buckie tend to rise and fall with the viability of the fishing industry, the many fine Victorian buildings in the town are testament to the wealth created here. The walk passes the original harbour (now filled in and transformed into a public park) on its way to the village of Portgordon. Near to the village are a series of rock and shingle beaches where large numbers of Grey and Common seals haul out to rest and socialise. Portgordon was established in 1797 by Alexander Gordon, 4th Duke of Gordon, as a fishing village. It became an important place for maritime trade, boat-building and fishing over the next 100 years, before its eventual economic decline. For more about its interesting history, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portgordon