This an easy walk alongside the wide and impressive estuary of the River Tay. The walk takes in an early section of the Fife Coastal Path, passing the old berthing areas for fishing and cargo boats. The return route uses an old right of way to circle back to the rear of the town.
Duration: 2 hours.
Duration: 2 hours.
Transport/Parking: Stagecoach #36 bus service from Perth. Check timetables. Easy on-road parking on the main street in Newburgh.
Length: 5.460 km / 3.41 mi
Height Gain: 77 meter
Height Loss: 77 meter
Max Height: 37 meter
Min Height: 1 meter
Surface: Moderate. Mostly hard paved and grassy paths. Some pavement and road walking.
Child Friendly: Yes, if used to walks of this distance and overall ascent.
Dog Friendly: Yes, on lead on public roads and near farm animals.
Refreshments: Options in Newburgh.
This is a pleasant little walk around and about the small Fife town of Newburgh, with its attractive miscellany of old buildings running along the main street. It sits on the south bank of the River Tay opposite the reed-covered Mugdrum Island, where a navigable channel runs alongside the town. The land behind Newburgh rises quickly at the eastern end of the Ochil Hills. As an established burgh, Newburgh dates back to 1266, but it had started to grow in importance after Lindores Abbey was founded as an offshoot of Kelso Abbey in about 1191 by David, Earl of Huntingdon, brother of William the Lion. The Abbey church was 59 m long, with transepts 34 m long. Edward I of England, John Balliol, David II, and James III were among the monarchs who visited Lindores at different times. The earliest record of whisky production there, cited by the royal exchequer roll for 1494, is a commission from King James IV to Friar John Cor of Lindores Abbey to make ‘eight bols of malt’. During the Protestant Reformation, the abbey was sacked by a mob from Dundee in 1543, and again by John Knox and his supporters in 1559. In the following years the Abbey buildings were quarried as a source of building stone for Newburgh. During the walk, you may wish to visit the new Lindores Distillery, just across the road from the main ruins of the Abbey (visited, on the route). It opened very recently, in 2017. To quote from their website – “After a break of 523 years, spirit is once again flowing from the copper stills at Lindores Abbey.” See: https://lindoresabbeydistillery.com/ In modern times, Newburgh’s main industries revolved around linen, linoleum, oilskins, and quarrying. The harbour area was used for boatbuilding and the transfer of cargoes to smaller vessels bound for Perth. A salmon net and coble industry also thrived at one time.