A very short and easy walk around the loch and woods at Strichen Community Park. The route includes a visit to the impressive Strichen Stone Circle, with good views all around, and where the ruins of the Georgian stately mansion, Strichen House, are also clearly seen.
Duration: 1.75 hours.
Duration: 1.75 hours.
Transport/Parking: Frequent Stagecoach #68 from Mintlaw or Fraserburgh. Check timetable. Easy parking outside The Lodge cafe and nearby Strichen Loch by the walk start-point.
Length: 3.690 km / 2.31 mi
Height Gain: 48 meter
Height Loss: 48 meter
Max Height: 82 meter
Min Height: 58 meter
Surface: Moderate. Mostly good, surfaced paths. May be muddy in places after wet weather.
Child Friendly: Yes, if children are used to walks of this distance. Note, however, the DANGER OF MEETING BULLS in the field at the Stone Circle (Waypoint 9). We suggest you back off in this circumstance and enjoy a different walk on the many trails near Strichen Loch.
Dog Friendly: Yes, but keep dogs on lead near to livestock, and on public access roads near Strichen Loch.
Refreshments: Fine coffee and cakes, and more, at the The Lodge cafe near the walk start/end point.
This gentle little ramble is a good opportunity to become acquainted with the pretty loch and woodland walks at Strichen Community Park, which is a community owned charity, run solely by volunteers. There are also good open countryside views along the way and some interesting historical features. The main focal point on the route [however, see safety note below] is Strichen Stone Circle, a Megalithic ruin which may be 4 to 5 thousand years old. Interestingly, it was visited in 1773 by James Boswell and Samuel Johnson on their tour of Scotland. Disappointed, they found only the recumbent stone with its flankers, and one other stone. This arrangement was completely destroyed around 1830, and again, after reconstruction, in 1960. During excavation in 1982, the complete circle was re-erected as faithfully as possible. From the Circle there is a good view of the ruined shell of Strichen House, the remains of a mansion house, built in 1821 for ‘Mormond Tam’ Fraser, eventually the 12th Lord Lovat. It was a large elegant house in the Grecian style, and replaced the 17th Century palace of Strichen which had formerly occupied the site. In the mid 19th century the estate came into the possession of the Baird family, of the Gartsherrie Iron Works. After a failed attempt to run it as a Hydro, it housed troops during the 2nd World War. Closer to the Circle are what remains of a doo-cot and a walled garden. The large Buchan village of Strichen lies on the east bank of the North Ugie Water in a sheltered valley. The combination of water power from the river, a booming local linen industry, and the potential for improved agriculture, led to the development of Strichen as a planned village in 1764.
Safety Note: As other walk reports have indicated, there is a DANGER OF MEETING BULLS in the field at the Stone Circle (Waypoint 9). We suggest you back off in this circumstance and enjoy a different walk on the many trails near Strichen Loch.